The French International School of Philadelphia is a not-for-profit independent school offering instruction from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The by-laws of the school were established on Jan. 22, 1991 and updated in 2016.
The French International School of Philadelphia, or Ecole Française Internationale de Philadelphie, is an independent pre-kindergarten through eighth grade school that serves a multicultural community and provides a comprehensive bilingual curriculum in French and in English.
Our goal is for our students to achieve at a high level in all academic subjects and to grow as creative individuals, critical thinkers and open-minded communicators, fluent in French and English. Nurtured by teachers who are native speakers certified in their respective countries, we expect our students to become global citizens and to develop a deeper understanding of and a true appreciation for other cultures.
The French International School of Philadelphia is accredited both by the French Ministry of Education and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Our Board of Trustees
Our Board of Trustees assumes the fiduciary responsibility for the organization and directs our long-range and strategic planning. The board is composed of 17 to 25 members elected to three-year terms and is led by the board chair; some members are French, some are American and others are international. The board includes community leaders, parents, and French and American faculty members. The Head of School, the Honorary Consul of France, and the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Parents' Association are ex-officio members of the board. The board works through committees, each led by a chair who reports to the full board.
The Board of Trustees has approved the following Strategic Plan for the years 2014-2017:
GOAL 1: PROGRAM EXCELLENCE
- Curricular performance objective submitted to MSA: Technology
- Curricular performance objective submitted to MSA: Math
- Review Upper School sports program and implement changes suggested by the review
- Review Curriculum in core academic subjects and continue to implement programs to maintain academic excellence
- Maintain personnel excellence (including recruitment and retention)
GOAL 2: COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
- Develop open communications internally and externally, embracing transparency, openness, and good communication within the school community and beyond to external constituents
- Update and enhance website
GOAL 3: TECHNOLOGY
- Embrace the use of technology in all areas of the school
- Enhance technological infrastructure and security
GOAL 4: SUSTAINABILITY
Enrollment and Marketing
- Maintain stable enrollment
- Strengthen outreach and increase visibility
- Prepare financial projections
- Balance annual budgets and implement solid accounting practices
- Review financial aid policies, tuition schedule and compensation schemes
- Continue annual external audits
Development and External Affairs
- Increase internal and external fundraising
- Create a maintenance and development plan for the North Highland Avenue campus
- Create a maintenance and development plan for the City Avenue campus
- Evaluate green space for City Avenue campus
- Continue to explore opportunities for physical growth
GOAL 5: GOVERNANCE
- Formalize nomination process, Board self-evaluation and Head’s evaluation
- Revise by-laws
Our Faculty and Staff
The faculty and administrative staff of the French International School of Philadelphia are highly trained professionals who are specialists in their fields. They form a strong team that works collaboratively with the Head of the School. The Head of School is responsible for the implementation of the school's mission and for the management of the school. Our teachers are all certified in their respective countries; one third of them are native English speakers, the other two thirds are native French speakers. Our administrative staff includes an assistant head, a parent relations director, three program coordinators, a business manager and an accountant, a development director and an admissions coordinator. Our office staff includes three administrative assistants, a secretary and a receptionist.
From the time it opened its doors in September 1991, French International School of Philadelphia has relied on the generous contributions of its parent volunteers. Through our active Parents Association, all members of the school’s parent community have the opportunity to become involved in:
Fundraising, with our Annual Soirée
Social activities, such as our Halloween Fair
Community service opportunities, such as our annual Martin Luther King Day of Service
The Parents' Association meets several times each year to coordinate the events and activities that support the school. Parents are also welcome in the classrooms to share presentations with the children, help with holiday celebrations, and to chaperone field trips.