Parents and Alumni Community: Parent Engagement
From the time it opened its doors in September 1991, The French International School of Philadelphia has relied heavily on the generous contribution of its parent volunteers, without whom an independent school cannot achieve excellence.
In return, volunteering will help you and your child develop closer ties with the school community. You may participate in a variety of projects that are connected to our educational program.
If you are interested in activities with children, you can contact your child's teachers to propose your participation in specific projects which can include:
- Sharing your expertise as a nurse, dentist, archeologist, publisher, artist, etc...
- Volunteering in connection with class projects;
- Sharing your cultural background or traditions with the class;
- Helping out with carpentry, cooking, planting, sewing, quilting, reading, etc...;
- Chaperoning class field trips;
- Volunteering as a class coordinator;
- Helping out for a special project;
- Collecting and lending special items from home or your families;
- Sharing your knowledge and experience with the class (interviews, talks, lectures or correspondence).
You may also participate in school activities by serving on or chairing Parents' Association committees. You are encouraged to attend Parents’ Association meetings to learn more about these committees.
CLASSROOM PARENT HELPERS
Each classroom has two or three parent helpers who assist the classroom teachers with:
- Class party preparation
- Organizing field trip chaperones
- Snacks (Thanksgiving, Mardi Gras for example)
- Class project activities, which will vary according to each teacher’s needs